Sunday, August 17, 2008

Part 2: The Restoration of Yisrael: Mystery of the Ages - Yaacov: Freedom from the Pharoahs of Esau and Lavan

Shalom Kol Yisrael,

We return to Part 2 of The Restoration of Yisrael: Mystery of the Ages series.  I will have to admit that I often do not know how these letters will turn out until I obediently set the hands to the keyboard, praying all the time that He will lead me.   So I pray that you have been encouraged, enlightened, and strengthened by the Elohim of Avraham, Yitzchak, and Yaacov to carry on and not lose heart as darker days approach.  We must remember that we are hidden in Him.   There may be thick clouds of darkness ahead, but Abba can use them to hide us and keep us so that we may be witnesses of Yah's final redemption into the Land of Yisrael for all of the children of Yisrael.

Part 2:  Yaacov: Freedom from the Pharoahs of Esau and Lavan

Bereshit (Genesis) 25: 20 And Yitsḥaq was forty years old when he took Riv̱qah as wife, the daughter of Bethu’ĕl the Aramean of Paddan Aram, the sister of Lav̱an the Aramean. 21 And Yitsḥaq prayed to YHWH for his wife, because she was barren. And YHWH answered his prayer, and Riv̱qah his wife conceived. 22 And within her the children struggled together, and she said, “If all is right, why am I this way?” So she went to ask  YHWH.  23 And YHWH said to her, “Two nations are in your womb, and two peoples shall be separated from your body. And one people shall be stronger than the other, and the older serve the younger.” 24 And when the days were filled for her to give birth, and see, twins were in her womb! 25 And the first came out red all over, like a hairy garment, so they called his name Ěsaw. 26 And afterward his brother came out, with his hand holding on to Ěsaw’s heel, so his name was called Ya‛aqov̱. (emphases added)

Many have interpreted Yaacov's name to mean "supplanter", however, Scripture shows his name is called Yaacov because his hand was holding his brother Esau's heel.  We look at Yaacov as a conniver.  But, is this really accurate.   Perhaps, it is the following incident that leads us to think of Yaacov in this way:

Bereshit 25: 28 And Yitsḥaq loved Ěsaw because he ate of his wild game, but Riv̱qah loved Ya‛aqov. 29 And Ya‛aqov cooked a stew, and Ěsaw came in from the field, and he was weary. 30 And Ěsaw said to Ya‛aqov̱, “Please feed me with that same red stew, for I am weary.” That is why his name was called Eḏom. 31 But Ya‛aqov̱ said, “Sell me your birthright today.” 32 And Ěsaw said, “Look, I am going to die, so why should I have birthright?” 33 Then Ya‛aqov̱ said, “Swear to me today.” And he swore to him, and sold his birthright to Ya‛aqov̱. 34 Ya‛aqov̱ then gave Ěsaw bread and stew of lentils. And he ate and drank, and rose up and left. Thus Ěsaw despised his birthright. (emphases added)

Did Yaacov know of his destiny?  Did his mother Rivkah speak to him that he was selected by Yah as a child of promise?  Did Yaacov use this incident to prove to himself that, indeed, his brother despised the rights and responsibilities that go with being a first born?  By looking at the above verses, we can indeed conclude that this was a demonstration of the very nature of Esau.   His name means red, thus he was called Edom.  However, look at how the actions of this man were associated with being "weary".   This can definitely shed some light.

Galatians 6: 9 And let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not grow weary. (emphasis added)

Who devised the plan for Yaacov to receive the first born blessing?

Bereshit 27: 1  And it came to be, when Yitsḥaq was old and his eyes were too dim to see, that he called Ěsaw his elder son and said to him, “My son.” And he answered him, “Here I am.” 2 And he said, “See now, I am old, I do not know the day of my death. 3 “Now then, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt wild game for me. 4 “And make me a tasty dish, such as I love, and bring it to me to eat, in order that my being does bless you before I die.” 5 And Riv̱qah heard when Yitsḥaq spoke to Ěsaw his son. And Ěsaw went to the field to hunt wild game and to bring it. 6 And Riv̱qah spoke to Ya‛aqov̱ her son, saying, “See, I heard your father speak to Ěsaw your brother, saying, 7 ‘Bring me wild game and make me a tasty dish to eat, and bless you in the presence of YHWH before my death.’ 8 “And now my son, listen to my voice according to what I command you. 9 “Please go to the flock and bring me two choice young goats, and I make a tasty dish from them for your father, such as he loves. 10 “And you shall take it to your father, and he shall eat it, so that he might bless you before his death.” 11 And Ya‛aqov̱ said to Riv̱qah his mother, “See, Ěsaw my brother is a hairy man, and I am a smooth-skinned man. 12 “What if my father touches me? Then I shall be like a deceiver in his eyes, and shall bring a curse on myself and not a blessing.” 13 But his mother said to him, “Let your curse be on me, my son. Only obey my voice, and go, get them for me.” (emphases added)

It is interesting to see that Yaacov did not want to be known as a deceiver.   Also this detailed plan was not concocted by him, but his mother.   Men of Yisrael, this is what happens when the order of the home is not right.   Yitzchak should have led the way in giving Yaacov the first born blessing.  But, instead, he was more concerned about feeding his belly.   YHWH already declared that the older shall serve the younger.   Rivkah did what she thought was right to make sure that Yaacov received the blessing of the first born.   Later in Scripture in the book of Shemot (Exodus) YHWH declares, "Yisrael is my first born."

From the Pharaoh of Esau to the Pharoah of Lavan

How is Esau seen as a Pharaoh?  Here, I am thinking of Pharoah as one who stands against the purposes of YHWH and even despises them.   Birthright also pertained not only to rights of inheritance, but also one's spiritual destiny given to them by YHWH.   Esau despised this destiny, yet manipulated his father through his father's appetites to receive the first born blessing.  So who really was the manipulator in all of this?  Rivkah assisted Yaacov to get out of the control of Pharaoh, and, in so doing a first born of Yisrael was saved as a prophetic act.   In the future, we will see a nation of first borns saved from the clutches of an Egyptian Pharaoh.

Bereshit 27: 42 And the words of Ěsaw her older son were reported to Riv̱qah, and she sent and called Ya‛aqov̱ her younger son, and said to him, “See, your brother Ěsaw comforts himself concerning you, to kill you. 43 “And now, my son, listen to my voice, and rise, flee to my brother Lavan in Ḥaran. 44 “And stay with him a few days, until your brother’s wrath turns away, 45 until your brother’s displeasure turns away from you, and he forgets what you have done to him. And I shall send and bring you from there. Why should I be bereaved of you both in one day?”

Yaacov now flees to his uncle Lavan's home.   Lavan in Hebrew means "white".  Soon Yaacov will experience the consequences of falling under Lavan's many "white" lies.

Continued next week:  Part 3:  The "White" Lies of Lavan

Shavua Tov,

--
Tzefanyah Pappas
Chazak Chazak v’nitchazek
Let us be strong, let us be strong and let us
strengthen (encourage) one another!


Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: